Skip to content

[Expired]CE marking of boats and engines

All boats with a hull length from 2.5 to 24 meters and water scooters must be CE marked.

All boats that are CE marked must have a manufacturer label with the CE mark as required by regulations. The CE mark indicates that the boat in question satisfies the basic security requirements that apply.

The requirements toward CE marking applies to all new boats regardless of origin, and for boats that are marketed in the EU/EEA for the first time.

The requirements also apply to boats that have been in use in countries outside the EU/EEA (used imports from third countries). Boats that were used in a EU/EEA country before 16 June 1998 do not have to be CE marked.

CE marked boats must have a hull identification number (CINHIN) on the transom or near the stern.

Boats that do not require CE marking even though their length is from 2.5 to 24 metres:
a. competition boats
b. canoes, kayaks, gondolas, water cycles
c. windsurfers
e. "historic boats" developed prior to 1950 and built mainly from original materials
f. trial boats, as long as they don't change ownership
g. boats that have been built for personal use and that are not sold until they have been in use for at least five years

Boats mentioned under a. and e. must be clearly labelled by the manufacturer/builder.

CE marking of engines

In principle, only engines that are CE marked during production are accepted. Each engine must be accompanied by declaration of conformity issued by the engine manufacturer and a certificate from the technical control body. Declarations of conformity issued for engines manufactured prior to certification of the manufacturer, are not valid.

Exceptions: You can use an engine that is not CE marked in a recreational vessel that was used in the EEA before 1 January 2006.

Supervisory control of engines

Supervisory control of engines is a difficult and expensive process. The tests and approvals which were not performed when the engine was manufactured, must be made in retrospect. For example, exhaust emissions must be measured. This means that the technical control body must test the engine and then prepare a compliance report (report of conformity). On the basis of this report, the importer must prepare and sign a separate declaration of conformity for the engine.

If the engine is replaced in recreational vessels that are used in the EEA after 1 January 2006, the new engine must be CE marked.

  • For further information regarding CE marking, contact the Norwegian Maritime Authority: